Sunday, June 22, 2008

K12 Learning 2.0

Among other things that I am involved with this summer, I am coaching a group of educators through an online class called K12 Learning 2.0. Shelley Paul from Woodward Academy in Atlanta, Georgia, came up with this professional development class after becoming familiar with PLCMC Learning 2.0. The course is designed as a self-guided online learning adventure. I provide guidance through regular help sessions (online and face to face), email and phone support. I am using wiziQ for the online help session platform. The class is pretty intensive but the teachers involved with it this summer seem to be managing pretty well for the most part. This past spring, I had a group of teachers go through this class but only two actually finished. The demands of the school year combined with the intensive nature of the course (for the average teacher)seemed too much. I am planning to revise and "chunk" the "things" creating a part 1 and a part 2 to build in a structure that hopefully will encourage more success during the school year. This class has really opened up a whole new world for me in terms of professional development opportunities for educators. It truly is a new kind of professional development.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Laura Deisley said...

Julia,

I couldn't agree with you more. This linear model in conjunction with the immersive, circular, and inquiry-driven model that we have in PLP is pretty powerful. I am impressed with the work I see our teachers doing in K12 Online and their enthusiasm is infectious.

Let's talk about how you're contemplating PD this year, and what I'm thinking. And--I echo the difference it makes to have teachers doing this work in the summer when they can take the time to reflect and openly consider the possibilities. I love reading their brainstorming ideas!

June 22, 2008 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

I'm so impressed with what you're doing and look forward to learning more about it. I'm so glad I now know where all of the "thing 8" and "thing 10", etc. are coming from. Great job! Kudos to you!

June 22, 2008 at 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-
It looks like we (@basler and I) are doing similar things as you, but with a different structure. We have 6 (or 12) sessions with some science specfic tasks. http://stemnow.wikispaces.com/Web+Tools+for+Science

June 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Skip Offenhauser said...

I did my own 23 Things using moodle and it was a huge success. Here is my final reflection on it http://soffenhauser.edublogs.org/2008/06/09/23-things-a-pd-success-story/

I had all the finishers take a survey I created via google forms. The responses were all positive. Good luck to you. The participants will love it.

June 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your wiki/course. This concept is new to me, but I think it is something that some of our teachers might benefit from. I will consider this approach this summer as I plan PD for SY 08-09.

June 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Julia,
I agree with most everything you said. I do not know how a teacher could do this class during the school year,but as a summer class it is great. As an administrator this is the type of class we need to be encouraging our teachers to take rather than the wasting resources on travel expenses.
Ed No

June 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger mpstaton said...

Do you have the curriculum up somewhere?

July 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

What an awesome wiki! I love all the "things" and actually saw a few I didn't know about like Evoca and Librarything. I am going to check them out.

July 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home