Thursday, December 18, 2008

Getting Students to Think Could Mean Asking Them What They Think


Most of the teachers I know would tell you quickly that they want their students to think about the content. This is something that I have as a goal as well. I told a colleague just this week that I would love to have a classroom full of thinkers. There is a poster that I put up in my classroom that simply says, "Ready, Set, Think!" But do I really mean that?


As I was observing my students write collaborative stories this week, a "light-bulb" moment occurred. In order to reach the upper levels of Bloom's Taxonomy of synthesize, evaluate and create, we might have to ask the students what they think.

Now, as someone who has actually asked this question to 6th graders before, I know that you have to be prepared for literally any answer. Asking "what do you think" opens the door to 6th grade reasoning, goals and dreams. If you listen closely to the answer, though, I guarantee you will learn more about the student than you could otherwise.

As scary as the proposition of their potential answers might be if I truly want engaged learning going on in my classroom, I'm convinced at this point that this question needs to be at the center of everything we do. The goals of engaged learning, higher-order thinking, and student ownership could all be connected to this question. 

So, in the interest of life-long learning, what do you think?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Merrick said...

Hey, Julia,

Thanks for leaving your blog info at the Blogger's Hut on ISTE Island in Second Life. I've added it to the famed "Windows of Blogs" there and I hope doing so leads more readers to your wonderful blog. Cheers!

Scottmerrick Oh (in SL)
Scott Merrick, IRL

December 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home