Saturday, August 17, 2013

An Idea for Engaging Students

I love it when my Twitter Network serendipitously provides me with a creative idea. One such moment occurred this morning. A tweet came across mentioning CityHunt.org. This is a site with an interesting concept: scavenger hunts for the purpose of team building, experiential marketing or social adventures. While that sounds like all kinds of fun to me, I began thinking about how to capture the concept for K-12 students. Each hunt, the site says, is jam-packed with clues for your team to uncover, sent in unexpected ways and placed in various locations. There is a photo challenge that encourages creativity and out-of-the box thinking. There is a team challenge, a guide on the side and a wrap-up reflective activity. Am I the only one out there that thinks this sounds like the beginnings of a lesson structure? The missing pieces are the learning targets. What if we could design a lesson plan that incorporates a similar scavenger hunt structure while uncovering resources/information that will help students answer essential questions? I even began thinking about how someone could provide clues using Aurasma, a leading augmented reality platform app. I really must find some time to put a lesson together while this concept is fresh in my mind. Thanks @scitechyedu for sharing this with @boadams which allowed me to eavesdrop and provided me with excited contemplation!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great thinking, Julia. AND... a school campus is a great place to prototype. I have come to see the school campus as the most underutilized resource in the learning environment toolkit.

Thanks for writing!

Bo (@boadams1)

August 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home