Thursday, October 31, 2013

Why I Love the K12 Online Conference

Every year for the past 5 years I have gleaned incredible ideas from the greater education community through the K12 Online Conference. At this point, it is one of my favorite conferences to attend. Never mind that the cost is free, never mind that there is no travel cost or the fact that I can attend in my pajamas but what keeps me coming back are the educators that talk about teaching and learning and truly transforming education.

This year's theme for the conference is Transforming Learning. This year's strands are Open Learning, Outside Learning, Building Learning and Leading Learning. Take some time to enjoy the Keynote to this year's conference. The title is Transforming Learning . . . One Voice at a Time. I personally found it very powerful.

I was fortunate to be a presenter for the Leading Learning strand. My presentation is on The Promise of Leadership. Leadership is something I have thought a lot about. I believe that traditionally in education we have had a false idea of what leadership really is. If we are truly going to transform education (make something new in the place of something old) instead of reform education (improve the old), then we need good strong leadership at every role including students. We need to tap into the students as a source of leadership and partner with them to truly transform our society into the global leader America can be. This is, after all, their future.

I hope you will take a few minutes to watch and provide me with feedback through comments on this post. I would love to hear your ideas on leadership.


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Julia! I really enjoyed listening to your Promise of Leadership clip. The parts that really stood out to me were the importance of 'walking the walk' and collaboration. I agree that leaders needs to cultivate a community of collaboration through actions rather than just talking about the need for it. I also feel that it's important to remember that leaders can be built and aren't just born. Most teachers lead in their classrooms every day, so by empowering teachers through collaborative opportunities to be leaders within their schools the opportunity for transformation increases.

October 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home