Monday, June 12, 2017

SCARF: The Ultimate Accessory

If you are not really into fashion, keep reading anyway! 😁



Working for the Ayers Institute, I have the privilege of working with a lot of different groups of educators. Sometimes I take on the role of facilitator of learning and at other times I work with teachers and leaders as a coach, a thinking partner. No matter what the role, David Rock's SCARF model serves as a foundation for those interactions. Yes, it is another acronym because, well, we just don't have enough acronyms in education. This acronym, however, is one I use every single day in my work.



Status - This is relative importance to others: what I think you think about me.
Certainty - This is the need the brain has for predictability and clarity in any situation.
Autonomy - This is the need for control. Choice and voice are part of autonomy.
Relatedness - This is the ability to relate to one another, a sense of safety and belonging.
Fairness - This is the perception of fair exchanges between people. Transparency plays a role with what is perceived as fair.

Using this as a framework, I can consider how an email might come across to someone. I can also use this to consider the source of a conflict or even how to be proactive in minimizing opportunities for conflict. In short, SCARF helps me to maximize my influence with others.

How do you see this information impacting your work?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love a good acronym as much as any other educator, so thanks for sharing! I had not heard this one, but as an instructional coach, I can appreciate it. I think that these are important principles for any working relationship. We need to know how we feel about each other, have some choice and sense of belonging, and feel like we've been treated professionally and fairly. I think SCARF can help me plan and reflect on coaching conversations I have. Thank you.

June 13, 2017 at 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard the SCARF acronym before, so I appreciate that you have shared it. This presents some valuable thoughts for me as I work as an instructional coach ...gearing up for year 2 over this summer, so this article will be an important read for me. Thanks!

June 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home